Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spanish Inquisition!



Last January I spent Short Term working in a fourth grade classroom at the elementary school near my home town. Everyday I assisted with all the subjects but Spanish and Art were the lessons I got to design on my own. The students loved learning Spanish so I worked hard trying to cover as much as possible in the short time I was alloted. We did various activities ranging from obviously singing songs about the alphabet, to each student making his or her own Spanish booklet, all the way to having a fiesta at the end of my time there. The fiesta was particularly interesting because as an art project, each student was given a Spanish-speaking country and he or she was asked to create that country's national flag and to be able to locate it on the world map. They also got to eat traditional Spanish foods, and some of the students learned pretty quickly how spicy these can be! Overall, I tried to incorporate as much hands-on and engaging activities as possible so that they could get a break from the traditional sitting around memorizing (and most likely subsequently forgetting) facts. I know they enjoyed themselves and learned at the same time so now I just hope they can retain the information learned!Spicy!


Flags of the World!

No comments: