Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Craft of Crafts

One of the other classes I am currently taking is Appalachian Crafts. I love it! This class, along with all my others, can unexpectedly show me a lot about creating a successful classroom. So far in class we have woven baskets (frustrating), carved wooden utensils from hand (VERY frustrating), did a blacksmithing project making a candlestick holder (metal is stronger than I am), and now we're working on a gourd project. The point is that I have had to learn to be extremely patient with these projects and work around my weaknesses, both figuratively and literally. Plus since everyone seems to enjoy the class, it's important to make note that doing these active projects is a much more pleasurable way to learn about life in Appalachia in the "old days." And even though we're all assigned the same project, it's so interesting to see the different way people interpret it, i.e. diversity! Check out some photos:



Me carving on my gourd.



My very frustrating fork that started out as a spoon but broke :(


Some of the finished utensils - mine's the fork!

No comments: